If you’re like most people, you probably kicked off this year with the best intentions, but this is right about when it starts getting tough to keep your New Year’s Resolution. However, with a little help and a killer plan, we’re betting that you can make this year different. Here are some of our best tips for staying strong and keeping on track all year long:
- Keep it simple – Most of us make goals that are broad and undefined. Try to split yours up into separate tasks that are easier to achieve. For example if your resolution is to lose weight, first set a mini-goal of getting to the gym three times a week.
- Celebrate milestones – Any time your reach a mini-goal, celebrate your success. You did it, and you deserve to feel good about it! Plus, it’ll get you motivated to set your next goal and keep you moving forward.
- Cut yourself slack – Just remember that nobody is perfect. It’s ok to slip every now and again. What really defines the struggle is how you get back up. So what if you had a brownie, you’ll do a little better next time.
- Tell everyone – Working with a partner or creating a support network to share your struggles dramatically increases your chance of success. It also becomes harder for you to quit if other people know you’re doing it.
- Have fun – Make a game out of it. Get competitive. Do whatever it takes to make your goal fun or at least interesting. Because if it feels like work, you’re not going to want to do it. Especially not day after day, month after month.
- Stay focused – Tape it on your mirror. Make it a mantra. You’re doing this for a reason, and you need to remember that. And if that’s not enough, don’t just think about it in terms of what your goal means for you, think about what it’ll mean to all the people you love.
They say it only takes 21 days to turn a behavior into a habit. So, stick with it just a little bit longer because you’re almost there! And remember, you have every reason to be proud just for making it this far.